Fennel, Farfalle, Fabulous Pasta!
I’ve been a really bad girl. I started eating non-SCD as of last week since my health has been amazing. Seriously, amazing. I can still feel how gluten makes me bloated and sometimes I get mini hot flashes, but I have just been indulging in gluten.
Anyhow, I cooked this recipe without really measuring so you might have to mess around with the proportions a bit. Either way, it’s delicious and vegetarian! Woohoo!
- 15 crimini mushrooms, chopped into fourths (can also use baby bella, portabellas. make sure they are all cut to similar size
- half a medium-sized fennel bulb, diced
- one sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of cooking white wine (dry white wine works too, just allow to reduce)
- 1.5 cup of vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved (can use heirloom, just dice)
- a handful of sun dried tomatoes, sliced (mine were not marinated)
- 1.5 cup of farfalle pasta (can opt for GF, just follow package cooking instructions)
- 5 garlic cloves
- About 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Half a lemon (optional)
- BASIL IS GREAT. Add some toward the end!
- In a big pot, get your water boiling. Add about a tablespoon of salt, and a tablespoon of oil (I use olive).
- In a small saucepan, heat until begins to smoke a little. Drop chopped mushrooms. Let mushrooms sweat until you get a nice char mark on them. Add a little bit of olive oil. Then drop in a little bit of salt, cooking wine. Let reduce. Finally drop in broth, a few minced garlic cloves, a few springs of thyme. Let broth reduce about 50%.
- In a separate, deeper and larger saucepan, heat up on medium heat, then drop butter and let melt. Drop in the onions and let cook until clear (a little bit of char is okay). Now, drop in the fennel, rest of garlic cloves. let cook. move onions and fennel to one side, drop in the tomatoes. Once you see the tomatoes starting to wither, drop in about 1/2 cup of broth, turn down the fire to a simmer, and drop in the sun dried tomatoes.
- Pasta should be ready to put into big pot (just make sure it’s a rolling boil). Set the timer, test it about a minute before the time it should be done is usually the trick to al dente.
- Now drop your mushrooms into the fennel/tomato/onion mixture, let simmer. Once pasta is done, throw it in, fold into the sauce, let simmer with the mixture for about half a minute just so the sauce gets in there. Salt and pepper to taste, half a lemon for juice is optional.
IT’S SO DELICIOUS.